Monday, January 26, 2009

Manners-Do you have them?

As I sit here tonight deciding on what to post, I want to tell you I am posting from my new and improved laptop! Yes, hubby is asleep so I took this opportunity to get online and post. I just finished talking to my basket friend who just chaired the last two years of our local basket convention. She has done an amazing job! I have chaired this event before and it is a huge undertaking! You go girl!!! Back to my thoughts..my friend was going through the evaluations of the event. You have the regular stuff...teacher materials are this or that, food is bland and even the teacher has her pets....but this year there was the cell phones were interrupting class, too many visitors, too many interruptions. I started to think about this, "Why are we so lax about our manners?" Have we all just gotten so comfortable with each other that we cannot use the manners that our parents taught us? When my girls were growing up, they had to say yes ma'am, no sir, please and thank you. Do not interrupt while others are talking. And now it's do not interrupt others while on your cell phone. If they decided they were not going to use their manners they did not get what they wanted. It was that simple. I remember my Mom insisting that my brothers, sister and I have manners. That is one of the best gifts my parents ever gave us! I honestly don't think that our friends are doing this on purpose, I think that we all just get comfortable with each other and we forget. Maybe that's not an acceptable excuse.
So the next time you are in a crowd or out with friends or even in with friends...don't forget what your parents taught you....use your manners. Everyone will notice and they will appreciate it.

1 comment: