Saturday, January 10, 2009

I'm so Proud of Hubby

Today was the commissioning of the newest US Navy Aircraft Carrier USS George H. W. Bush. What a great day for the US Navy and our city. It was really an amazing thing to watch...the two Bush President's, wives, families and all the men and women of the US Navy. How proud I felt just watching the whole ceremony. I wish I had been able to get out there on the pier and watch. President Bush spoke so amazing about his parents. And former President Bush's speech was great too. I teared up a number of times. At the end of the ceremony the crew of the carrier are given the orders to go on-board the ship and they start running while the band plays "Anchors Aweigh" and, of course, that made me cry too. I am such a cry-baby!!! Just ask hubby he will tell you so! I cry just watching the military homecomings on TV. Oh, I almost forgot to tell you why I am so proud of my man. Hubby works for a private company that restores World War II aircraft. They attend air shows, there is a museum and they perform fly-overs for special events. Well today was one of those special events. Hubby went out very early this morning to get one of the 1942 aircraft started and ready to fly over the USS Bush. What a joy it was to see it fly over while I was watching the ceremony. I immediately called hubby and said "You did a good job, she just flew over!" He replied "She didn't want to start this morning, was spitting and fussing...but I finally got her started." I was so proud of him at that moment. He is a retired Navy Chief so we have many ties to the Navy. And today he played a little part of the commissioning ceremony and that made me very proud. What a great day for the US Navy! Go Navy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment