Sunday, April 25, 2010

Jackson...Good Bye


On April 19, 2010, we said good bye to our beloved, faithful Jackson. It has been a very tough week for us all. I have cried more this week than in years. Let me give you the details....on Thursday of last week we noticed that Jackson was not eating well and it was getting harder and harder for him to walk. On Saturday I went to Richmond and the hubby said Jackson did not much eat that day. Sunday was my Grandfather's 90th birthday party, my hubby drove up for the day. Our neighbor checked in on Jackson and Jackson was not doing well. When we arrived home I could look at him and tell it was very serious. He would not get up and was not eating at all. Hubby and I knew what Monday would bring and we made sure our girls said their good byes that night. It was a very sad night with many tears. We slept in the living room, on the floor with Jackson. He wanted to go outside a few times, and then was so weak that he would lay down in the yard,unable to get up. Hubby had to carry him back into the house. It was so hard to see him like that. I spoke with the vet and he asked that we come into the office on Monday morning and he was so comforting and offered help during the night, if needed. We knew what Monday would bring and we were so upset over it. Monday morning we picked up our sweet dog and put him in the hubby's truck and as I rode in the back with him I continued to pet him and just talk to him. His eyes were so tired and I could tell he was in pain. As we sat in the room the vet had prepared for us I could not help but think of all the fun times I have had with the "found" puppy. He has brought so much joy to our lives over the 13 years. As I sat on the floor and he took his last breath all I could do was hold him and cry. And I was crying for me, not him....he was not scared, and I knew he was in a better place.
Yesterday I went to the vets office and picked up Jackson's ashes. And to my surprise the vet had made a paw print in plaster. I couldn't contain my tears, it was so good to see something that was him...that I could touch and know he had touched it. Does that sound silly? Crazy? I don't know, but it has given me comfort. Jackson is back home with us, where he belongs. We will miss you my sweet dog, I love you and know that you are chasing the squirrels in heaven! Oh and be sure to say "woof" to Sandy, she was our first dog and she is missed too.

No comments:

Post a Comment