Saturday, February 20, 2010

Trip out West

This week was a very interesting week. Took a trip to San Diego for work. We, myself and two co-workers, took off at 6:15 am from Norfolk headed to Cincinnati then on to San Diego. Our drama started in Norfolk. It was very cold that day and we had to be "de-iced" before our plane could leave. We boarded the plane, the de-icing truck came by and was not working, so truck number two came by, and it wasn't working either. So now we are about 2 hours delayed and missing all our connecting flights. By this time passengers on the plane were getting very vocal and about 8-10 passengers got off the plane. I sat and watched and listened, what more could I do. At this point my stomach was starting to hurt, nerves, probably or maybe it was the fact that I had gotten up at 3:30am and had not eaten anything, I had planned breakfast in Cincinnati. The weather warmed up and we finally took off. The pilot and crew apologized numerous times. It wasn't their fault, it was the weather, truck mechanical and just ...well "stuff" happens. We arrived in a blowing, blizzard storm in Cincinnati with 3-5 inches of snow on the ground and ice. Our pilot was wonderful...he very carefully landed, no sliding, no shaking, no skidding. I just knew we would be sliding off the runway. As we walked into the terminal there were many people there and many upset people. Flights were being cancelled all over, tempers were high, and the airport workers were doing their best. We went up to the counter and proceeded to try to find a new flight. ......The drama continues....we were booked on a new airline, at a new terminal, in just 25 minutes....so we all booked down the airport hall and headed to our gate as fast as our legs could carry. One of the gentlemen that traveled with me has a difficult time moving quickly, so I walked fast to make sure to hold the plane if needed. Well as we arrived, the plane had not even boarded, they too were running behind. We finally left, in the blowing blizzard snow and we were on our way to Chicago. I made the statement...maybe I'll see Oprah while in Chicago. :) My journey to San Diego will continue in my next post.....

No comments:

Post a Comment