Thursday, August 25, 2011

Hurricane Irene

Sunday morning (2:00am) we are expecting with be hit with Hurricane Irene. Right now it's a Cat. 2 that is predicted to hit us. They have closed the bases, stores, schools, roads and started the evacuation process for low lying areas. The ships have left, the roads are busy and well we all are preparing for her arrival. Here at my house, we have started the preparations. The lawn stuff is all cleaned up, we will be picking everything in the garages up and moving cars, motorcyles and trailers out of harms way. This is an every year occassion. It seems, that when we get the alert and we go into "Hurricane" mode. The hubby will do his part and I do mine and we will be ready..I guess. As ready as we can be. The work email went out to prepare for Irene and we did. Everything is wrapped in plastic or unplugged or closed or shut off. Looks like Irene is going to give us a big punch...that brings me to mention that my Grandmother was named Irene. Nannie Irene as we all called her. She was quite the lady. She would stand up for us to anyone! She had a tough life, she lost her husband in the war when my mother was 4 yrs old and then raised and supported my mother all alone for all those years. She never remarried. I remember her saying that she married for love the first time and would marry for money the next. And she never found anyone with enough money, so she never remarried. She was probably the strongest willed woman I ever met! She and I had a special bond, I am the first grandchild and since being the oldest I was able to do lots of things with her. So with Hurricane Irene coming, I feel like it's a little piece of my Nannie saying, "Ok ya'll, you better straighten up and fly right!" (She loved tha expression). Thanks Nannie we will...love and miss you!!! Everyone take care and be safe. I'll keep you updated.

No comments:

Post a Comment